Financial Analyst is a person who performs financial analysis to understand the financial health of a company.
Financial analyst jobs
Broadly, financial analyst roles are required in following areas:
2. Sell side firms
Job description for financial analyst
Buy side firms are basically different funds, including mutual funds, where the financial analyst studies different companies, performs research and analysis and gives recommendations whether to invest in the company or not for the fund.
This is in-house research.
Sell side firms are basically research houses or brokerage firms.
They cover certain companies and write detailed equity research reports and sell this research to the clients.
The main idea here is to sell research and generate brokerage from client’s transactions.
In Investment banks, the financial analyst’s role is different. Here, he covers mainly IPO (Initial Public Offering) process and M&A (Mergers and Acquisitions) deals.
The analyst plays active role in all these deals.
How to become a financial analyst
Financial Analyst Skills and Qualifications
1. Solid analytical skills
2. Curiosity and interest in analyzing, understanding companies in depth
3. Solid fundamental valuation skills acquired in business school, or as a consultant
4. Interest in understanding, analyzing a company’s business
5. Clear financial and quantitative concepts
6. Ability to build financial models
7. Sectoral expertise in Telecom, Media, Technology, Insurance, Banking, Food & Beverage.
8. Strong analytical and MS Excel skills (Macros, V-Lookups and Pivot Tables) with strong communication skills
9. Graduate/ Post-graduate in finance, economics, or business. MBA/ CFA is preferred.
Financial analyst salary
In London, an equity research analyst profile will give you salary in the range of GBP 20,000 – 50,000. In US, for the same profile, you can earn $ 35,000- 80,000.
Financial analyst interview questions
There are many financial KPOs where fresher and entry level openings are available.
However, check the skills they want for these roles.
The selection process for the companies involve case based test, and two rounds of interviews.
My experience says, if you are really good in fundamental and analytical skills, you can grab such roles.
So, brush up your financial knowledge and be ready to become a financial analyst.
How to be a financial analyst
What are your career plans? Write to me.
Want help in how to prepare for a financial analyst interview? Leave a comment below.