In previous article we saw how to edit/delete individual cells. In this post,we will see how to insert/delete a row or column.
– To insert a row, first select the row before which you want to add new row(s) by pressing Shift+Spacebar.
Once the row is selected, use Alt+I+R to insert new row(s).
– Now, we will see how to insert a new column. First select the column before which you want to insert new column(s) by pressing Ctrl+Spacebar .
– Once the column is selected, use Alt+I+C to insert new column(s).
Like mentioned in previous post, it is a bad practice to insert or delete individual cells as your entire worksheet can get disturbed. So always deal with entire rows or columns instead of individual cells.
Now, we will see how to delete entire row or column.
To delete a row or column, select the entire row (using Shift+Spacebar ) or column (using Ctrl+Spacebar ) and press ALT+E+D . ALT+E+D deletes the entire row or column.
So this is how we delete rows/columns.
Next very important key which we use very frequently while working in investment banking is F4 key. What F4 key does is, it repeats the last action that you performed.
For example, if you have deleted any column using ALT+E+D, and again you want to delete some more columns, then you just need to press F4 key to repeat the delete action.
So, these were the shortcut keys to insert/delete rows and columns in excel. Now, we will proceed with the sample exercise. As always, try doing this exercise with the shortcut keys mentioned above.
1. Create an excel sheet with data on similar lines given in the sceen shots. Delete the extra rows and columns.
2. Insert a new customer row before an existing customer.
3. Insert new column Order Date before column Product Type.
Become Excel and financial modeling expert.