Since I live in Pune, it’s natural for me to start the company review section with a Pune-based company CapMetrics.
Before I start, let me clear one thing, this analysis is for people who are looking for entry-level career in financial analysis and research and want to know more about CapMetrics.
Capital Metrics (henceforth would be referred as CapMetrics) has a delivery center on Bhandarkar Road at Deccan Gymkhana, Pune.
Founded by Rahul Rathi and Rangarajan Sundaram in 2003, the company provides services and products in investment management, investment banking, and investment consulting.
CapMetrics’ clients include large banks, FIIs, FIs, large home offices and fund of funds.
The company covers over 100 stocks in India and US. It covers asset classes as broad as—Real Estate Investment Trusts (REITs), Master Limited Partnerships (MLPs), & Canadian Royalties.
As per the company’s website, it boasts of having five plus years experience in dealing with institutional clients. I think, the website of the company is not updated as the company was founded in 2003 and by now it’s almost 10 years of the working and the five plus years’ experience sounds a bit dated.
The company is highly into quantitative analysis and modeling. It uses sophisticated software tools to calculate and analyze the data.
CapMetrics has segregated its work into three different areas.
1. Investment Research includes asset allocation analytics, creation of benchmark indices, development and back-testing of investment strategies and fundamental research.
It’s high quality research output is based on three things—first, idea generation, where economy-industry and company analysis is done and then investment ideas are generated.
Second important thing is—detailed modeling and valuation where past data, future trends, interaction with management and sensitivity analysis is done.
Third thing is—quality assurance and monitoring.
2. Quantitative Analysis includes risk analytics, risk management and structured products pricing
3. Performance Analytics focuses on risk and return benchmarking.
Want to make career in this company?
If you want to know what’s required to make a career in this company, continue reading.
Currently people are working at these positions.
1. Equity Consultant
3. Quantitative Analyst
4. Risk Analyst
5. Performance Analyst
Job Responsibilities include
- Hedge fund Analysis, ROR calculation, NAV calculation and updation, Fund exposure analysis in different sector and region, Monitoring VAR, Using Bloomberg to check the ratings, Analysis of new fund performance for new investment.
- Financial Modeling, Different Asset Class Valuation, Equity Research
- Model Development for market risk measurement, Stress testing, Tail risk measurement, Fat tail fitting, MLE, CMLE, Copula theory
1. PhD / MSc / MA in Econometrics / Statistics, BTech / MTech from reputed institutes like IITs.
You should be highly flexible and open to working in different teams. It seems that company looks for people who have multiple skills or open to learning new skills as the company clearly says that career growth is based purely on mastery of skills.
My observation says—if you want to make career in this company then don’t be rigid. Even if you’re from fundamental research background, be open to work on quantitative analysis projects. Also, your ability to get along with people and work in teams will come handy in this job.
In addition to this, you should be really passionate about financial research, self-motivated and open to learning to new technologies and practices.
Sounds interesting? Check CapMetrics website.
Disclaimer: The author of this post is not a placement consultant and is not related to CapMetrics. The opinions in this report are for informational and educational purposes only and should not be construed as a recommendation.The information in this report is believed to be accurate, but under no circumstances should a person act upon the information contained within without proper due diligence.
View All BIWS Courses –Free $97 Bonus for FinanceWalk Readers