The Graduate Management Admission Test (GMAT) is an international computer adaptive test (CAT) which aims to assess you across various parameters which are believed to be essential, not only for you to successfully complete your higher studies, but also the life ahead in the corporate world.
- 1 GMAT Test Dates 2017
- 2 GMAT Test centers in India
- 3 GMAT Eligibility
- 4 The Exam Pattern
- 5 GMAT Application Procedure
- 6 GMAT Application Fee
- 7 Selection Procedure
- 8 GMAT Result
- 9 GMAT Participating Institutes
GMAT Test Dates 2017
GMAT is probably one of the most flexible tests, as anybody can take the test round the year. However to make the management of exams a bit easier, each you can take the exam only 5 times a year with a minimum gap of 31 days between two attempts.
GMAT Test centers in India
You can take the GMAT exam all round the year and on demand at the following 17 cities* in India through 20 test centers.
On the face of it, except for the fact that the person taking the exam has to be above the age of 18, there is no restriction or any specific eligibility criteria for taking GMAT exam.
The Exam Pattern
In the GMAT you will receive questions one after the other. If you answer the first question correctly, the next question will be trickier. On the other hand, if your answer is wrong, you will receive a question which is assumed to be easier to solve. The GMAT exam pattern is as given below:
Analytical Writing Assessment (AWA)
It measures your ability to critically analyze and convey your ideas. During the AWA, you are required to analyze the line of thought behind a given argument and write a critique of that argument. The argument that you present is assessed by the college and university faculty members who will be looking at the overall quality of your thinking and writing. Some tips that should help include:
- Assess the argument in the question and carefully plan a response before you begin writing
- Organize your thoughts and develop them fully
- Provide the relevant support to your reasons and examples
- Please remember that you are NOT being asked to present your own views on the subject.
- Some sample topics are available at GMAT Website
The Quantitative section assesses your ability to utilize your reasoning skill to analyze data and draw conclusions. The mathematical skills needed to understand and solve the questions in this section of the GMAT exam are taught at the secondary school level. The section is further subdivided into
- Problem solving questions judge your ability to answer numerical problems, understand graphical data, and weigh up information available.
- Data sufficiency questions judge your ability to examine a problem, distinguish relevant information, and once done, decide the sufficiency of the available information to solve the problem.
The Verbal section is used to measures your ability to read and understand written material, to appraise arguments, and to correct the material provided for grammatical conformity with standard written English. The section is further classified into the following
- Reading comprehension questions assesses your ability to understand, examine, and apply information and concepts presented in written form.
- Critical reasoning questions are used to judge the reasoning skills you use when answering arguments and formulating or evaluating a plan of action.
- Sentence correction questions assess your English language skills and ability to articulate an idea clearly, concisely, and grammatically correct.
The Integrated Reasoning section is the newest section in the GMAT. This section is used to measures your skill to assess information presented in varied formats from multiple sources – skills you need to succeed in our technologically advanced, data-driven world. The section expects you to
- Synthesize information on hand in graphics, text, and numbers
- Evaluate pertinent information from multiple sources
- Organizing information to observe relationships and to solve multiple, interconnected problems
- Combine and manipulate information from multiple sources to solve complex problems
The section is further subdivided into
- Graphical Interpretation: In this section you are expected to understand the graph or graphical image and select the option from a drop-down list to make the answer statements accurate to the best of your knowledge.
- Two Part Analysis: In this section you would be selecting one answer from each column to solve a problem that has solution in two-parts. Possible answers would be presented in a table with a column for each part.
- Table Analysis: In this section you would need to sort the table to organize the data so you can assess whether certain conditions are met or not. Each question will have statements with opposing answers (e.g., yes/no, true/false, inferable/not inferable); select one answer for each statement.
- Multi Source Reasoning: You would be required to check in data through multiple sources on the page to disclose different data and discern which data you need to answer the question.
GMAT Application Procedure
You would have to register for the GMAT at the GMAC website. To schedule an exam, an appointment has to be made at one of the designated Pearson vue test centers. As stated earlier, the GMAT cannot be taken more than once in a span of 31 days, even if the scores are canceled.
GMAT Application Fee
The exam fee is USD 250.
The candidate would receive their scores right after completing the test. The test scores so received will be valid for 5 years. Please note that GMAT isn’t the final test. It would be used to shortlist in the colleges of your choice. Once shortlisted, the final selection will be based on the multiple rounds of selection process before being accepted by the B-school of your choice.
The GMAT result will be available right at the end of the test. You will have the option of accepting it or declining it. If you accept it, the institutions of your choice will get the score along with you. If you decline it, the scores will not be visible to any.
GMAT Participating Institutes
In India over 100 B-schools accept the GMAT scores.
I hope that this article covering GMAT test dates in 2017 and GMAT test centers in India would be of help to you.
View All BIWS Courses –Free $97 Bonus for FinanceWalk Readers