In this post, we will learn how to use keyboard shortcuts for navigation purpose. We will cover some of the very basic shortcuts in excel, most of which we are already aware of plus a few more keys for navigation.
Excel shortcuts to navigate through individual cells
- Cut : Ctrl+X
- Copy: Ctrl+C
- Paste: Ctrl+V
- Delete Cell Contents : Del
Note : DO NOT use Backspace key to delete the cell contents
- Undo : Ctrl+Z
- Redo : Ctrl+Y
- Select All : Ctrl+A
- Open a file : Ctrl+O
- Create a new file (new workbook) : Ctrl+N
- Print a file : Ctrl P
- Press Escape key ESC to exit from anything in excel (eg. To exit from print window after pressing Ctrl+P, to exit from a formula etc.)
- Close a file : Ctrl+F4
- Close excel : Alt+F4
- Save File : Ctrl + S
- Find : Ctrl+F
- Replace : Ctrl+H. Use Alt+R to actually perform the replace action.
- Switch Windows : Alt+Tab
These were some basic shortcut keys, now we will move to some more excel shortcuts used for smooth navigation.
Some more excel shortcuts
- Ctrl+Arrow keys : Jump to boundaries (eg. Ctrl+Right Arrow key will take you to right boundary)
- Shift+Arrow Keys : Allows you to select Multiple Cells (Eg: Shift+Right,Shift+bottom etc.)
- Ctrl+Shift+Arrow keys : Allows to select entire block
- Shift+F8 key: Allows you to select multiple sections.
To use this, select multiple sections using any of the above mentioned keys like say Ctrl+Shift+Arrow keys, press Shift+F8, to keep that area selected and then move on to select another section.
- Ctrl+Spacebar : Select entire column
- Shift+Spacebar : Select entire row
So these were some of the very basic excel shortcuts used for navigation purpose. Using these, you can easily do away with mouse usage.
What you can do now to practice this. (Try doing it with the excel shortcuts mentioned above)
1. Open a new workbook. Create some data. Copy some data from the workbook and paste this data in new workbook.
2. Close the newly created workbook.
3. Open our workbook. Select multiple areas in the sheet.
4. Close the current workbook.
View All BIWS Courses –Free $97 Bonus for FinanceWalk Readers