I have an exciting news for you. After learning and playing with Power BI for more than a year, I would love to share all this awesomeness with you on a playdate.
Of course, you don’t have to pack your sleeping bag and tooth-brush. You can join me on this play date from the comfort of your couch and PJs. Stoked?
What is Power BI and why should you care?
Power BI is a software to collect, model, analyze, visualize and publish business data. Think of it as a powerful business intelligence engine built to work on PC, Web, Mobile or Tablet. You could create interactive, beautiful and insightful reports in just
You could create interactive, beautiful and insightful reports in just a few minutes using Power BI. It works with almost any data source and opens up tremendous possibilities for your business or profession.
If you work with data and maxed out on what you could achieve with Excel, think of Power BI as next logical step.
What is this play date?
Working in Power BI feels like playing with your data. Hence the name – play date. This is an online class (should be about 8 hours long) that you can take from anywhere at anytime.
In this program, you will learn how to play with Power BI to create awesome dashboards and insights. This course will be at level 200 to 300 for Power BI. While we do cover the basics, you will come out far ahead by the end of
While we do cover the basics, you will come out far ahead by the end of play date. Here is the plan for our play date.
- Before starting: Installation and stuff
- Quick play: getting hands dirty with Power BI
- Concept break: Understanding the terminology and power tools of trade
- Intense play one: gather, clean, model and visualize business data
- Intense play two: collect web data, combined with other sources and visualize
- Concept break: DAX the way, aha – a primer on DAX
- Intense play three: maps, graphs, interactivity and lots of data
- Closing thoughts
How much does it cost?
This is a paid program. The tuition for Power BI Play Date is the US $199. You will get:
- 8 hours of video training on Power BI with bonus materials on Power Query, DAX for Power Pivot
- Online access to your play date videos, workbooks and bonus materials for 12 months
- Download access to everything so you can grab them and watch/use anytime.
When is it opening?
The first batch of Play Date opens on Wednesday, 20th of September, 2017
We will keep the registration window open for a week. You can start watching the videos as soon as you finish the purchase.
What is Power BI?
Considered to be one of the fastest growing technologies in the world of data, Power BI is an incredible software to collect data, model it, analyze it, visualize and publish your work – all with ridiculous ease. Think of Power BI as a natural extension to Excel-based reporting with built-in capabilities to publish to mobile phones, web, and everyone in your organization securely.
Suggested: Read more about Finance Careers Path
What can Power BI do for me?
I won’t tease. Check out below show reel to see some of the reports you can create in our course. It is #AWESOME.
What is this play date?
Power BI Play Date is an online training program to teach you how to use Power BI.
Working with data in Power BI feels like playing, hence the name Play Date. This program is completely online and self-paced. You can learn about Power BI from the comfort of your couch (or playpen). I take you from a Power BI rookie to rock star by the end of this course.
In this program (more than 8 hours long), you will learn:
- Getting started with Power BI – Your first ever play
- Create and publish a KPI dashboard
- Analyzing customer service data and creating powerful reports (the CliQ customer service db you see above)
- Understanding your new play mate Power Pivot – the engine behind Power BI
- DAX in the park – an introduction to DAX formulas for Power BI
- Whats up with the chicken prices in New Zealand – an exploratory analysis
- Introduction to Power Query – your faithful ball fetcher
- Creating an executive reporting system with forecasting, what-if analysis and more
- Play time – Roger Federer’s 8th Wimbledon win
- Play time – Craft Beer, anyone?
Be warned though. This is thoroughly awesome and intense play. Prepare for some serious exercise.
Is it good for me?
Let’s be honest. Power BI is awesome and all, but not everyone can hop on the bandwagon. You need below skills to successfully use Power BI:
- Decent understanding of business and reporting concepts (ie are you building some reports in Excel or other tools already?)
- Beginner to intermediate level of Excel (while you won’t be using Excel in Power BI, knowing things can simplify your work)
- Passion to learn new things (Power BI feels almost nothing like Excel)
and oh yeah, you will also need:
- Free Power BI Desktop software (you can download this from powerbi.microsoft.com)
- Optional Power BI online account (this will let you publish things on web etc.)
In this play date, I assume that you have little or zero experience with Power BI and build from that level. At the end of this program, you will be able to create awesome reports with the program. That is my promise.
Our Power BI Play Date runs in batches. The first batch enrollment is now open. Keep these dates in mind.
- Enrolments: Open now
- Enrolments close: 29th of September, 2017 (Friday)
- Play begins: As soon as you join.
How to sign up?
View All BIWS Courses –Free $397 Bonus for FinanceWalk Readers